Bedford Historical Society
The Charles & Louise Wharton House
Headquarters of the Bedford Historical Society
A Brief History of the House
Charles W. Wharton, Sr., son of John and Isabella Wharton, married Estelle Steptoe. She was the great-granddaughter of Jemmy Steptoe, an early Clerk of the Court in Bedford County. (Another of his granddaughters was Frances Steptoe Burwell of Avenel.)
Charles and Estelle built the brick Italianate style house next door to his parents c.1883.
Charles and Estelle Wharton had two children; son Charles W. Wharton, Jr. and daughter Louise. Louise married a Mr. Slicer.
Charles, Jr., married Louise Bibb and inherited the brick home. They developed the gardens in the rear of the house now dedicated and marked as the "Louise Wharton Memorial Garden."
Widow Louise Bibb Wharton's estate sold the brick home to the City of Bedford for the children's library.
On December 12, 1995, the Bedford Historical Society and the Bedford City Council agreed to a 40-year lease with a 40-year preservation covenant. The Historical Society has restored the house for use as its headquarters.
Get directions to the Charles & Louise Wharton House